Friday, May 27, 2011

Wk 4 Reading Activities Post 3 - Response to Janene Neal

Here is my response to Janene Neal:

Janene.

What can I say really other than the fact that since EDE you have provided me with a spark to push forward and do my best in our EMDT courses. Your endless words of encouragement and your not so subtle ways of saying to stop slacking have made learning with you since December's class something that I will cherish.

I remember one of our first assignments when we began on our EMDT journey was about did we want to gain colleagues or friends during our time here at Full Sail. I remember saying that through our shared learning friendships will be created that transcend the normal interactions between classmates. I look forward to our friendship remaining strong after we're done here at Full Sail and thank you for helping me find that divine spark within to be the best that I can.


When I started teaching over ten years ago, I believe my whole body was filled with lighting ready to transfer to others. I wanted to relight a spark in my students, so they would be ready to take on the world.

Recently, I think my inner light has fizzled, and I see a dying light in my students.

Maybe it is the end of the year. Maybe I feel a little burned out. But when I read these last few chapters, I realized, I need to make a change in my thinking. I can still make a difference in my students’ lives. I can still light that spark.

How do I rekindle that feeling of making a difference? I know myself. I need to make a change with my professional life about every three to four years. Do something different like changing schools, positions, or curriculum. This really helps me with keeping my ideas fresh and new.

However, what about the students that have that darkness inside, but don’t want to let in the possibility of light? Every year, I try to motivate a student that just doesn’t want to work with me. Usually it’s a student that just wants to goof off, play around, distract others, and try to be the “cool/bad” kid. You all know them…we all have at least one in our class. This year, I just so happen to have two of them in one class. This is how I overcame this type of behavior. I gave both students a lot of leeway.


I let them work on a multimedia project together that consisted of a rap creation they created in Garageband Loops. I saw the spark...they showed the light.

Instead of me running around yelling at them to get to work, saying, “stop this”, or “stop that”, I provided my students with endless possibilities. My students found new technology knowledge, created a content skill rap song, minimized distractions, and had fun. I was able to do my job…which is mold young minds. WE all learned from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment