Tuesday, May 10, 2011

wk2 Activities Blog Post 4 - Free Post Copyright Update

Thumbs Up by .reid Used with Creative Commons Attribution
This week's anything goes blog post was a no-brainer for me.  After last week's experiences with copyright at my school it seems some of what I shared with the teachers sunk in.  I was working in my back office yesterday on some computers. I was separated by a door with vents on it and was listening to the teacher talking to her students about copyright. This is the same teacher that I spoke with last week when I was walking through the lab.

So I was listening intently as she was trying to work with her class in setting up their bibliography. I think this last page of their powerpoints they are working on was added after I spoke with her. That's just a personal belief and I have no proof of this other than what I think. The part of her conversation with her students that struck me the most was when she said with such emphasis, "If you don't cite where you got your information that is Breaking The Law!" She must have said this 3 or 4 times. I could not help myself but to start clapping from my hidden vantage point.

After a bit of being startled and not expecting to be overheard I commended her on her recognizing the importance of teaching her students the importance of making sure her students understood copyright and what it meant. I sent her links of the video clips for her to look over and use as a resource.

Our school leadership team is in the process of putting together professional development for the start of school next year. I am happy to report that copyright has been added to the PD schedule for the first month when we come back to school in the fall. I shared this story, and the one from last week, with the leadership team. They were instrumental in getting this PD opportunity added to the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment