Monday, October 4, 2010

BP4

For blog post 4 my goal was to research a web 2.0 tool/site and evaluate it. From the moment I saw the assignment I knew which site I would choose.

One of my favorite tools to use is Animoto. To me Animoto is digital storytelling to the extreme. It works similar to iMovie, Windows Movie Maker and Photostory3 with the user uploading images and, if desired, music. Once images are uploaded, the order in which the pictures will be shown can be set. 






After completing the work on images, it is off to choose the music. One thing that Animoto does is work with recording artists that are looking to show off their musical talents. They allow you to choose their music to attach to the videos. If you have copyright free music, or have been granted permission to use music, you are able to upload music to go along with your slideshow. Under the terms of service on the website, Animoto encourages you to use the music that is available through the website if there is ANY question with regards to copyright infringement. 





Once finished with both images and music, you are directed to then give your slideshow a title, ability to change a theme, and give it a title. It is at this point that you are able to create the actual video.







Educational Implications

To many digital storytelling purists, Animoto would probably not interest them at all. If you are a teacher that does not have a lot of time to spend on the creation of digital stories, this site would be for you. It does have its limitations though. Users are not able to provide their own transitions and it would be highly difficult to add personal narration to any of the slideshows that are created. However, living in the I don't like to wait mentality that is our society today, Animoto videos can be created in less than 10 to 15 minutes. The demo video which is below was created in less than 10 minutes. 




2 comments:

  1. Tom -

    Thanks for your great introduction to Animoto and your example from your trip to Discovery Cove with your daughter. Your review made it sound as though the site is very easy to use as long as you have some digital photos that you want to upload and incorporate into your slideshow. I also appreciated that you identified the downside - not being able to add narrations or customize the slideshow by adding transitions and other features that are available in Keynote, Garageband and iMovie.

    I visited a local, non-profit urban farm on Saturday and think I will take some of my photos and create a short Animoto show to share with my students. Thanks for showing me the power of this fun-to-use tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I first saw Dr. Rathburn's post and then traced his comments to yours. I love the design and music effects that can be added in such a short matter of time. This program looks like an exciting quick efficient way to archive and showcase one's still shots. I've seen a few other student projects using it as well, and if your video was created in 10 minutes with such a nice outcome, I will be experimenting with it soon. I can see where it will be a great way to capture still shots of my students next week as they interact with their mentors online for the first time. I want to document their activity from the beginning. Thank you for sharing your vacation pictures.

    ReplyDelete